My goal with this blog is to explore my individual ecological footprint and to generate ideas about curret world-wide problems caused by consumerism.

Thursday, March 1, 2012



I took a Prius cab today! That was green! - kinda

Gas is now $3.99 a gallon. That's even more of a reason to use public transportation. Thank God for the UPass. Without that thing, I would be totally broke. It's scary to think that gas will go up to over $4.50 in the next few months. I'm dreading that so much. Part of me wants to buy a little scooter to ride around on to save gas. In that case, I have to save up like $2K and invest in a cute little scooter with a matching helmet. Coming up with that money is going to be really hard. I can do way more with that than buy something I can only use during pleasant weather. Also, by making the purchase, am I being sustainable? Or am I giving in to a want that I perceive as a need? With my purchase, I'm increasing the demand, which might stimulate higher production if this is observed on a larger scale. I don't imagine that the production process of the scooter is sustainable either. So, I guess buying a scooter isn't that efficient. The next substitute would be public transportation, but after the UPass expires, it's actually going to be pretty expensive. First, I have to get to the stop, which will probably involve driving. I have to pay the ticket and parking fee. Sometimes it seems that driving to the destination would be the faster, easier, and higher valued option. Another option might be to involve in a bicycle for local transportation. However, when I go somewhere locally, I usually go to the store or out to run errands. I don't exactly want to arrive at a date or a get-together with a friend all sweaty and wearing gym shoes. And trying to balance with lots in my hands isn't exactly something I'm good at. So, bikes are out. Walking might be an option, but in the suburbs, I can't really walk anywhere. I guess I have no option but to drive my car and pay the outrageous price for gasoline. Perhaps sometime in the future, we can switch to a more sustainable and more abundant fuel source.

No comments:

Post a Comment